Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 LIS 489

Time: 8:00 to 3:35 with a thirty minutes for lunch

I arrived at Petal High School to start my practicum. I signed in and headed to the library. Ms. Sue Sorensen is the librarian at the high school. She showed me around the library of where things are placed. Fiction and Reference books had a couple of rows. The class numbered books were and are against the walls.

She introduced me to the system that she and the whole school system used for the libraries and students. The cataloging system is called Destiny that can let students look for books and helps the librarians do their jobs. The librarian puts information in to the system of new materials that they have recieved from donors or what was bought.

During the day, she introduced me to the high school student aids that attend to the library like shelving books.

My main job for the day was putting some of the books that the library received from a donor into the system. This took most of the day, due to the searching for the proper class for the book to be in. I learned that the books that are on the shelves could help a librarian to catalog a new book by the similarities between a book material or other materials . An example would be that a materials is specific to a region, but that person could go to the shelf and get close to the class number.

To put the books into the system, I had to put in a bar code, price of the material, and put a class with the material or categorize it as fiction. I finished a fair amount of books this day and left at the time indicated at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment