Sunday, February 27, 2011

Feburary 24, 2011----LIS 489














Time: 8:00 am to 3:15 pm with a 30 minute break

Thursday was a day for putting a little more books into the cataloging system and processing them to be put on the shelves. Also, Thursday was a day to help student patrons with finding the printers, their passwords, and check them out laptop.

To process the books that I put in the cataloging system starts as:

1. While putting the books in the system: I will give them a bar-code number,
2. I will have a word document that I can put the bar-codes for the labels on the spine and back cover.
3. When finish putting books into the system: I will locate the document when going to the 'back office' section of the library.
4. I will go first to the bar code label section to get the back cover labels ready to print out. I will locate the document with the bar codes for the books through the browser. I will open them for the system to recognize them.
5. Make sure the dimensions are ready and then click on 'report'. I will refresh the list of documents.
6. Open the labels and then print the labels on the label sectioned paper that was placed in the printer.
7. Then take the books that you bar coded and match them up with the labels that were printed out.
8. Put labels on the cover or their proper place and then put a protective plastic sheet over the label. This is for the scanner to read the code better and protect the label from damaging factors.

9. Finally, stamp the book in the front, back and somewhere in the middle with the 'Petal High School Library' logo.

For the spine, the process is the same for locating the same document and making sure everything is ready to print on spine label paper. I placed special sectioned label paper into the printer and printed out. Then, after the labels were printed, the books received their labels from me or a teacher's assistant that was in the library at that time.


Help is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment